Monday, May 5, 2008

Then the Maypole

This was my first May Day Celebration - last year I was teaching children the songs to Annie. The parade was interesting and unusual, as are most things in Shepherdstown. After the parade many people gathered by the Town Run to dance, sing, and wrap the Maypole. I don't have any photos of the group dances because, of course, I was dancing!

Spring Maidens did flower dances while children shared poppyseed cakes with everyone in the crowd.

I'm not sure what these people represented, but they are part of the town Morris dancing group.

Lots of stick dances. If you look closely you'll see that the town was able to hire Fleetwood Mac to play.

The children at the new daycare choreographed their own dance.

I think this dark horse represented the darkness of winter. He chased the children and then one of the men in red & orange fought him off to celebrate the coming of spring.

1 comment:

Medcalf Crew said...

Poppyseed cakes, Fleetwood Mac, the dark horse...are you sure you weren't at a reenactment of Woodstock?