Sunday, June 20, 2010

Rumtopf!!!!

Hey gang! After hearing friends recount the story of Lynne Rossetto Kasper's intriguing description of a rumtopf, I have researched the magical rumtopf and have decided to make one. Here's a photo. I just added some gooseberries which caused the splashes on the side of the jar. I hope I'm doing it right, because as Dad said, "[it] will either turn out to be incredible, or you will poison yourself." I'm paraphrasing. Essentially the rumtopf is seasonal fruits juiced in sugar for an hour or so and then put in the pot and covered with rum. This continues through the year and then sits some time before wintertime consumption (again, Dad commented, "Does your fantasy of this thing include fairies?") So far, "meine Rumtopf hat" strawberries, cherries, and gooseberries.

2 comments:

Medcalf Crew said...

I think I've heard of this before. The Queen of the Wood Nymphs appears upon your first wintertime consumption. Or rather, after consumption. Come to think of it, her appearance may just be an after-effect of consuming rum and fermented fructose wintertime or not.

MariahSmile said...

hahahahaaha this is hilarious and i need more information!