Sunday, August 29, 2010

More Garden Gems

So here we have some more goodies from the garden. First you see purple carrots. They have a brilliant orange hiding under the skin with a bright yellow center. I tasted the first one - wow! What a flavor. Very rich, crisp carrot flavor that bites you back. I'm glad I have more of these in the ground and a new batch coming!

Then you see some greens, which include wild rocket and swiss chard. Here the chard is red but I also have pink and yellow. And I threw in a couple of special nun beans for good measure. They have lots of nicknames - holy spirit bean being one of them - because of this special mark on the navel of the bean which looks like a nun praying. Or a dove, soldier, baker, or many other things depending on how you look. Click the photo for a more appetizing view.

Here's the first volunteer tomato to ripen. I'm not sure what these are, but there are about 20 of them on the plants and they have a small donut shape to them. This one was tasty. I also have German Lunchbox tomatoes - small and pink, hot and sweet. There are about 30 of them on the plants but they are also taking their time ripening.

1 comment:

Medcalf Crew said...

purple carrots...just part of your Wonderland life!